[BioNLP] (no subject)

Bob Futrelle bob.futrelle at gmail.com
Tue May 22 10:51:08 EDT 2012

Works for me.  I pasted the "Cell sample" (365 words) into a curl command
specifying json output and a redirected the output to a file.  It worked
quickly. They are to be commended for what they have accomplished in Cocoa.
They have taken on quite a challenge, though some results are questionable
- no surprise.  Also, the tag set is small. Easy to imagine post-processing
to refine the tags.

For example, the bigram  "antiviral efficacy" comes out as

"http://npjoint.com/78":
    {
        "_type": "Physiology",
        "_typeGroup": "entities",
        "name": "antiviral",
        "instances": [
            {
                "exact": "antiviral",
                "offset": 2194,
                "length": 9
            }
        ]
    },
"http://npjoint.com/79":
    {
        "_type": "Process",
        "_typeGroup": "entities",
        "name": "efficacy",
        "instances": [
            {
                "exact": "efficacy",
                "offset": 2204,
                "length": 8
            }
        ]
    },

with "efficacy" tagged as type "Process".  The pair "antiviral efficacy"
describes a certain degree of effectiveness of the prior-mentioned
"inhibitory siRNAs".  [No one said natural language would be easy.]

All in all a great tool which can be used for exploration or for more
extended tasks. I would worry that someone would write a script that would
send a few thousand curl lines.  So proceed cautiously.

I'm busy developing NLP tools of my own (in deep cover), so I don't really
use any other tools.  Not sure what else out there may have functionality
similar to Cocoa. I'm sure some list members will mention similar tools.

 - Bob Futrelle
   BioNLP.org